I can’t believe I’m here to share week 3! Thank you for your help getting me to this round! This is the final round before the Signature Look, and three designers will get to share theirs. The theme for this week was Streak, Stroke, Stripe. I know there will be a lot of good designs to see this week, and don’t forget, you can be sewing along to win prizes too! Link up at Project Run & Play your best stripe look!
This week, I had another long time pin that inspired one of my pieces. This maxi wrap skirt is something I’ve been wanting to make for a while, but in the rhythm of life, I don’t get/take time to make the things that I really want to. I started shopping for the perfect fabric as soon as I knew the theme for this week, and you wouldn’t think it would be that difficult to find, but finding the right scale of stripes, in the right substrate took me all over the internet, and in local stores too. I should have gone to Raspberry Creek Fabrics first. They’re one of my favorite online shops, and they have the most amazing selection of knits and woven for apparel purposes! I bought all 5 yards of this pin stripe rayon challis they listed as in stock. My first plan was to create a full dress out of this fabric, but the inspiration never quite came together in my mind.
For the skirt, I used the Made for Mermaids Isabel wrap dress pattern. This is designed for knit, and it is a dress, not a skirt pattern, but I knew the tulip cut option of the skirt would be perfect. I measured the length I wanted for my daughter, minus the amount of ruffle I wanted, and re-drew the curve. For the ruffles, I added 2 layers, and made them longest at the back, gradually getting shorter around the front. These were a small bit of labor, as I had to piece together the width of fabric, so I eyeballed the slope of ruffles, and cut them with scissors as they lay in all their glorious length across my living room. Rayon challis is notoriously shifty, so it was a little bit of a fussy task. But this fabric is surprisingly less shifty than other rayon challises I’ve used, so I was very happy working with it. I enclosed the top of the skirt in-between the layers of the waistband, leaving some extra length on the outside end for one tie, and added the second tie in the side seam of the other side of the waistband of the skirt. There is a button sewn into the inside layer of the waistband to secure it closed before it’s tied. My daughter LOVES this skirt, and was begging to wear it to her VBS program the night after it was finished!
I wanted to play with pattern mixing in this outfit, so I chose a larger scale stripe for the shirt. I also wanted to use an assortment of fabric types, scales of prints, etc… to show variety and interest within the theme. This is a knit I picked up at Joann, for a different project, but I decided it would go well with this outfit! I used the Jalie pattern, Bobbie, for the base of this one. Bobbie is a dolman sleeve pattern. The modifications I made were widening and scooping out the v-neckline, shortening, and widening the body of the pattern, and adding ruffles on the sleeves. The facing is a full tank facing that ends mid torso, so it’s comfortable to wear. I love this outfit together. It has an easy vibe, and it’s flowy for cool comfort in the summer!
For the other outfit, I wanted to use a more abstract stripe, I guess this would be more in the streak or stroke realm. I love this olive stripe print from Cali Fabrics so much! I have never shopped there before, but they sponsored this competition, and generously sent credit to the designers to use for the season! This is an ITY, which makes it cool to wear in the summer too. This dress started from the Havanna pattern from Cali Faye Collection. I’ve owned this one since it was released. I am obsessed with the style. But true to my procrastinating form, I’ve never sewn it. It is a blouse pattern designed for woven, but I wanted to make this from knit, so I made a muslin, and then a few modifications. I added length to make it a dress, drew a completely new back bodice piece, modified the crossover portion in the front to eliminate the need for a button, and added pockets! I also curved in the sides so the heavier knit wouldn’t be overwhelming. I played with the pattern placement on this, though I was slightly limited, as I used all of the 2 yard piece I had. But I was able to flip pieces in different directions to make the most of it, and match all the stripes! This is such a simple style, but it still makes a statement. I want to make one for every day of the week for my daughter this summer!
We headed downtown on a warm (hot) night for photos. I knew the neutral colors in the clothes would need a background that would let them shine. This parking garage is not in regular use, and while it was too windy for us to get good shots with the city in the background on the top level, we were able to get our photos on the ground level. The hair and styling were fun for this one. I tried to add subtle stripes wherever I could, without making it look cuckoo! Then we headed home to beat the 100 degree heat with slushes. I’m thankful for my girls who are such good sports, and are all in with me in this competition. They were on board before I began, and I wouldn’t be anywhere without them! Thank you for reading. You can check out all the other entries over at Project Run and Play, and vote for your favorite!!